Thursday, January 20, 2011

Now We Are All Brand Managers

Why does this project matter? As I said in September:
We can customize, personalize and pre-editorialize not just our opinions, but our facts, too. Inconvenient facts therefore need not exist. This can all be accomplished without reducing the quantity of knowledge whatsoever, creating an alternate but seemingly complete reality, unique to each person.
I was talking then about the information that comes to us. But what about the information that flows from us?

If you're like me, you use Facebook as your own personal PR firm. You talk about your successes, your projects, or whatever will make you look charming and draw comments. You develop your own personal brand, exclusive to the 400 or so people who are closest to it.

Isn't that a little gross? I mean, these people are supposed to be my friends. Can't we just hang out without all this brand management? And don't think I don't notice that you're doing it, too.

The characters in The New New News are straddling the gulf between their personal and professional lives and watching as their feet get closer and closer together. Is this normal human stuff translated to online space? Is this something new?

Do you thing I'm charming and successful?

3 comments:

  1. The Steven Gomez brand's market penetration hasn't lived up to brand expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt -- I'm going to interpret your comment to mean that you think I'm charming and successful. That's what you meant, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete